Monday 11 February 2013

Maker of the Week - Jenny Robertson

Jenny Robertson produces hand knitted cobweb lace shawls, stoles and wraps in gossamer silk and hand-spub cobweb wool. Jenny is based on the Isle of Eigg in Invernessshire and trades as A'Nead Knitwear. She will be showing her work at the Palace Art and Craft Fair.


At what age did you know you wanted to become a maker? 
I was about 50, and to facilitate this, I did research online to get realistic pricing, and then started work. I subsequently learnt to spin and learnt about social media to promote my business.

Is being a designer your only job?

I do other casual work to supplement my income. The main job is being part of the maintenance team for Eigg Electric, the company which supplies Eigg with electricity. I also am one of the first responders for our local broadband company.

If you could be anything else what would you be?

Wood worker
What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?

Creating a wrap for a bride to her colours and a christening shawl with a blue border, knitted in local merino/gotland fleece. I love being able to make things specially for people in the colours and fleece type that they choose.
 


What is your most prized item of design / craft?
At the moment, a shawl knitted from hand-spun baby alpaca as it was completely my own design, not based on anything else and the first shawl I'd spun the cobweb yarn for. Alpaca gives a lovely airy look which makes you feel warm to look at it.
What are you listening to? 
I love orchestral music, especially pieces which bring the natural world to mind.

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?

Avoid going on line unless I need to research something. Otherwise, it's mainly just for emails.
If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?

On the Isle of Eigg - it's just the most perfect place for me and my dog, Harry
 

Where and what is your studio?
I work from home, which is the house I built when I moved to Eigg - just perfect.
Three words that describe your feeling of doing your work?

Satisfaction, enjoyment, pleasure

Chips or mash?

Both!


No comments: