Tuesday 26 February 2013

Artist of the Week - Anna Perlin


The countryside is a continuing theme in Anna Perlin's paintings. Anna has always loved the changing colours and seasons of the British landscape. Anna will be showing her work at the palace Art and Craft Fair.
 
At what age did you know you wanted to become an artist?
I was 27 and in a good career in product marketing for a big brand when I realised I wanted to turn my hobby and passion into a profession. I'd been painting all my life and was always considered 'the arty one' of my family and friends but was never encouraged to think of art as a career. A gallery I approached for advice recommended a really good local(ish) art society to me - some of it's members were professional artists and members of the ROI - and the advice and encouragement I got when I showed my work at critiques and the societies exhibitions was fantastic and spurred me on to putting together a portfolio and website with which to approach galleries


Is being an artist your only job?
My only job

If you could be anything else what would you be?
Hmmmm. As I have already set up my own gallery as well I've ticked a lot of the boxes of what I've always wanted to do/be.

One favourite living artist?
Ruth Stage. She is the youngest ever elected member of the NEAC and although she's not famous her paintings are beautifully painted and constructed in a completely unique style. I only have to look at some of her work to feel inspired!

One favourite historical artist?
Klimt. I know he's a favourite of many at the moment but the way he blends styles and colours so effortlessly is amazing. I've tried to emulate him and never come close. You can look at just one of his paintings a hundred times and take something new from it each time. 


Who has had most influence on your work?
My mum. She was always my harshest critic and always made me question my work and its qualities. Although I have now learnt to judge my work on my own values she opened my eyes to looking at my work objectively.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
A close run thing between being a mum and an artist! They're both challenging, frustrating, you can't always control the outcome and often do something wrong but the good always outweighs the bad :o)

What is your most prized item of art?
A small James Naughton painting from Aceo Gallery. I set up the gallery to enable people to buy more affordable art from amazing quality artists. James Naughton was always an art hero of mine and it was wonderful when he agreed to create work for the gallery launch last year. I couldn't resist buying my favourite piece.


What item of design / craft do you covet most?
Lalique glass from the Art Nouveau period. Any of it is stunningly beautiful and I can spend a long time in the V&A museum looking at the glassware there.

Last book / film that blew your mind?
The Hunger Games. An amazing book on so many levels. I'm on a mission to get everyone to read it who hasn't yet.

What are you listening to? 
I like to work with peace and quiet. There's always so much noise in a busy house with kids, when I paint I get in the zone of having me time alone.

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
1? Not much I think


If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
Right where I am in Hertfordshire. Close to the galleries and shops in London, but also in the beautiful English countryside that I paint. I wouldnt mind moving the sun closer to me here though....

Where and what is your studio?
purpose built north facing extension on the back of my house with big windows and a roof light.

Three words that describe your feeling of doing your work?
Freedom, happiness, excitement 

Chips or mash?
Chips

No comments: