Sunday 4 November 2012

Maker of the Week - Mickey Wolters


Mickey Wolters is a ceramicist trading under the name Porte-bonheur de Wollie. Mickey lives and works in The Netherlands. 
 

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
Fashion Academy, Amsterdam and School for Ceramics, Gouda.
I learned all of the of basic skills but I wished I had learnt more about the business side of it.

Is being a designer / maker your only job?
Now, yes, but I started work as a fashion designer/stylist for several years until I educated at the School for Ceramics.

One favourite living designer?
Designer? May it also be an artist, painter? I have many favourite artists, and Michael Sowa is one of them. His work is whimsical, imaginative, surreal and cute at the same time and  sometimes a bit tragic but with lots of humor, I totally love his work.

One favourite historical designer?
The same as above I have many favourite artists; Miroslav Sasek his work is also imaginative and with humor and I love the vibrant colours in his work.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
What I am doing now, Ceramic Artist. Working with my hands in the clay, drawing, screen-printing, painting. And I liked running my own shop, until there was no time left for making ceramics, drawing and being creative, and I just cannot live without, that is why I quit the shop.
But it was not always fun, in the beginning when I started making ceramics a long time ago, I had many side jobs, For example, at the security in a ridiculous outfit in the evening at the reception desk until everyone had gone home and I had to wait for a team to check and lock up the building, but they forgot one time! And there I was in the dark, alone at a very enlightened desk in an enormous building on a deserted terrain! – The wrong storybook!             

What is your most prized item of design / craft?
A hand formed tiny cat face, this was the start for me making a whole collection of ceramic jewellery.

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
The bird with the pearl necklace painting of Michael Sowa or a face vase of Picasso, not really achievable of course!.

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Our dog Wampie, I love animals especially dogs and cats. they are so much fun, playful, unrestrained, honest. When I was sad sometimes, I talked to our dog and she always listened, at least I thought she did.

Last book / film that blew your mind?
I have seen recently and again on dvd the film Chocolat. Not blown away but I really like this film, it gives me a good feeling, the same with the film Amelie. And I like movies with costumes from the 30s and 40s because of the clothes, hairdo, furniture the whole style.

What music are you currently listening to?
I listen to many kinds of music, at the moment to Ben L’oncle, a French musician who sings both English and French and Billy Holiday, Marvin Gaye, Angie Stone and the music of the film Amelie and lots more.

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
About an hour I guess, but most of the time I am busy answering emails in English. I always try/hope to write some kind of proper English.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
I would love to live in a storybook where everybody is nice to each other and to animals, where you can where pretty frocks every day and eat cake and candy and still be healthy.

Or in the UK, I love the countryside or London and because there are so many more opportunities for artists in terms of materials, fairs, courses, galleries and artists meeting places, or maybe Paris because it is such a beautiful and romantic city

Where and what is your studio?
My studio is at home I have a room/space in my house that I've made up my studio but in fact my whole house is my studio, I even put a small table in my bathroom at the door to my small but very cozy roof terrace, so I can have some daylight and sniff fresh air while drawing etc. and watch my cats making a mess.

Do you have a good work/life balance?
Ummm, I have never enough time to do everything I want to do, but I love my work!.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
It differs, sometimes engrossed and sometimes tranquil, I know that's two words. Maybe ENGROSSED is the best word.

 

 

No comments: