Saturday 28 July 2012

Maker of the Week - Holly Berry


Holly Berry makes woven blankets, scarves, shawls, cushions and accessories using traditional artisan weaving practices. She will be exhibiting her work at MADE LONDON and MADE12 in Brighton.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained in Fashion at Kingston, I learnt how to use colour, push boundaries and not to always do what I'm told.
Is being a designer / maker your only job, or do you have other employment?
As well as making and designing woven textiles, I am the co-founder of The CottageProject London, a micro-department store consisting of cafe, gallery and shop space. We launch in Autumn 2012 and are now running a pop up making space for the Olympics and a designer makers show room


One favourite living designer?
My boyfriend Osian Batyka-Williams, because he can build and create almost anything from a chair to our house! A dreamer and a do'er! 

One favourite historical designer?
Gunta Stolzl, a master weaver from the Bauhaus, the most perfect mix of technical know how, rule breaking and creative genius!

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Spending a day in Belfast earlier this year talking to emerging makers about small craft businesses, we sat in a museum, chatted, shared and generally got motivated.


What is your most prized item of design / craft?
My first 3m length of weaving, it was a real turning point in my life when I switched from fashion to weaving, I fell in love.

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
I quite want a hand carved and painted skateboard.

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Probably something very tacky so I'm not going to say. I wasn't the best teen.


Last book / film that blew your mind?
I watched 'The Boat that Rocked' with my sister last week, about the pirate radio ship, loved the music and the free vibe!

What music are you currently listening to?
The Beach Boys, Dusty Springfield, Rolling Stones. (and blaring Drum and Bass from my boyfriend's workshop)

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Yesterday none, but today I've spent far too long on twitter! I try to be very strict with computer usage, it saps my brain power.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
High up on a hill in Hungary looking down to a lake surrounded in fruit trees! My creativity and imagination comes alive when I'm there.


Where and what is your studio?
Beautiful little room in our basement in New Cross Gate, South London, doors open onto the garden, just enough room for me and two looms.

Do you have a good work/life balance?
Yes I think so, I sometimes work too much, but then sometimes play too much, so I guess it's a good balance.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Euphoric.


No comments: