Saturday 2 June 2012

Artist of the Week - Kym Haverson

Kym Haverson is a British abstract painter based in London.  By laying her canvasses on the floor, Kym layers water and various mediums of paint on top of each other, dispersing them across the canvas, allowing them to fight each other for space, while permitting layers of spray paint to settle on top of others in precise detail.

Kym was a semi-finalist in the Saatchi Showdown Competition, 2012 and will be exhibiting at the Barcelona showcase at Casa Batlló on the 14th July, 2012.


Where did you train?
Leeds Metropolitan University

What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
It taught me the benefits of experimenting with materials and how to research my chosen subject in-depth but because I studied 3D Design at university I think I have developed a design take on art.  I wished I had learnt about about art history, but there are lots of wonderful books out there.

Is being an artist your only job, or do you have other employment? 
Being an artist is my full time job, however I do a bit of modeling on the side to help pay the bills.

One favourite living artist?
Gerhard Ritcher. I think he is a very unique artist; he has incredible skill with a astounding range of techniques and ideas. Im always mesmerised by his pieces.


One favourite historical artist?
Turner, he influenced my fascination with colour, light an mood. He creates violent yet sublime pictures which just leave me standing in awe. 

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
This one; being an artist!  Before I decided to do art full time, I struggled to hold down a job for longer than 8 months, I would just get bored, or think 'this is not what I want to do, I need try something different.'  

Being an artist allows me to concentrate on the things I am interested in and work at my own pace. I am very disciplined with myself, but to be honest I don’t feel like its work because its doing something I love. I could work from 9am to 11pm, 6 days a week and still feel guilty when I see my friends and they're moaning about how much work they have. 

If you could collaborate with anyone living or dead, who would it be and what would you do?
Tracey Emin, I love how her brain works. Who knows what we would come up with!?

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Georgia O'keeffe. I loved her use of colour and unique close ups and angles of nature.


Last film that blew your mind?
It would have to be The Divide, directed by Xavier Gens. Its not particularly a nice movie, but the development of seven characters who are trapped in a basement is fascinating whilst also tremendously disturbing. 

What music are you currently listening to?
A friend introduced me to the band Polica and now its on constant repeat on my ipod, especially the song 'Wandering Star.' They are are fairly unknown in the UK but have been receiving lots of success in the States. Definitely one to look out for! 

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Not much, maybe 1 or 2 hours. Daily Mail online is my weakness.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
On a big boat, so I could travel around the world and then finally I would retire in Byron Bay, Australia. 

Where and what is your studio?
A room in my flat in Putney, London.


Do you have a good work/life balance?
Yes I think so, its been a bit of a learning process. If I know I am painting all day I make sure I go out for dinner / drinks in the evening. I also try to have at least one day of the week where I dont talk or think about art but that rarely happens.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Adventure. 

 What would your dream commission be?
A huge painting in Kings Cross Station, which may sound a bit odd because its a place where people are normally speed walking towards a train. 

If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
MoMA 










No comments: