Monday 11 July 2011

Featured Artist - Rachel Heavens

Rachel Heavens is an artist and illustrator. She questions the relationship between humans, the universe and the subtle voice of the eternal, and this inspires her imagery and drives her creativity. Rachel will be exhibiting and selling her work at the Brighton Art Fair in September.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained at Wimbledon School of Art. It taught me how to use my creativity in a conceptual way and think outside the box. I wish it had taught me about the world outside and how to be a better business woman!

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
I can remember sitting at my Granny's dining table creating a drawing of a street with people in it when I was about 9 years old and I had to keep adding bits of paper on as I was enjoying drawing so much that didn't want it to end! I knew then that i wanted to draw for the rest of my life!

One favourite living artist?

Aya Kakedo. I recently discovered her illustration and I adore it! I love it because she is expressing her vision so clearly and uniquely and obviously living and breathing her work and living a creative life.

One favourite historical artist?
Cecil Collins. For his time he has created images that are so whimsical and yet deeply spiritual with a strong connection to nature and spirit, a theme that fascinates me

Where do you get most of your inspiration from?
Dreams, stories and my daughter

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Its a job I still do. I work for a research/marketing agency as a creative consumer/consultant and its a great way to stimulate my thinking have fun and be daring with my ideas

Have you had any interesting work related collaborations?
Last year I did a group show with my illustration group in Tunbridge Wells, we all chose a theme and picked one out of a hat then made work based on that theme. The theme was the one I had chosen called "Beyond the Clouds" and it inspired me to create some of my favourite work to date. Oh and a few years back when I was working as a theatre designer I worked on a play with Adam Ant, it was very strange and embarrassing as I really fancied him as a teenager!



At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Pre Raphalite artists, Frida Khalo and Arthur Rackham

Last book / film that blew your mind?
Let the Right One In......amazing film with exquisite and vunerable performances from child actors

What music are you currently listening to?
Ganstarr "Step into the Arena" absolutely classic album!

Who would you say buys your work?
Mainly women buy my work but generally people that remember their childhood and are still able to dream

Where and what is your studio?
At the moment my studio is my dining room table!

Do you have a good work/life balance?
Yes I think I do but I always see room for improvement. I have a beautiful 20 month toddler so at the moment I want to work more but Motherhood takes priority!

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Bliss

If you could be doing anything else what would it be?
I would be an independent midwife promoting natural childbirth at home

If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
Tate Modern me thinks!

Any other information?
I recently won a business award with Tomorrows People and 1066 Business Enterprise in Hastings which was a huge achievement and a great acknowledgement of what I have to offer creatively and commercially.

1 comment:

flycasual said...

you had me at Gang Starr 'Step Into the Arena'.