Sunday 14 November 2010

Maker of the Day - Martha Mitchell

Martha Mitchell produces ceramic jewellery, functional objects and intricate fine line drawings. Her inspiration comes from everyday objects, from food packaging to new and old bottles. She has recently set up a studio in Hove where she is continuing to design and make her own work.


One favourite living craft maker.
The ceramicist Andrea Walsh - she makes bone china and glass vessels, I love the mix of white with bright turquoises and blues.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased or what one product/item do you really covet?
I’d love one of Kate Malone's pieces - her work is amazing I have never seen another ceramicist produce such amazing colours and forms.

At age 18 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
The designer Andrew Tanner definitely had an influence on my style – he was a visiting lecturer both on my foundation course and on my degree – and it was he who helped me decide on what degree to choose and which direction my work would go in.


What’s currently on your i-pod, cd player, tape recorder?
I don’t have an i-pod at the moment so I make do with the radio!

Where and what is your studio?
I am about to move in to a studio with two friends in Third Avenue – Rebecca Cluett, a pattern cutter, and Elizabeth Lock, a milliner. We are all very excited to move in as it is a lovely big space and it will be an inspiring working environment.


What is your favourite (art) website?
Design spotter– it is a database for modern and contemporary design and the content is always changing, I used it a lot for research at university!

Do you have a good work/life balance?
I find it really hard to switch off from work as I can’t sit still without doing something! I am also a worrier which means I am constantly making lists of what to do next!

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Satisfaction!


Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Definitely – it is really important for things to not only be designed well but also to give pleasure to people to look at

What do think are crimes against good taste & decency in art/craft/design?
Mass produced badly made giftware

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your designs Martha! and I'll visit your stand at made