Tuesday 20 July 2010

Artist of the Week - Kate Walters




Kate Walters lives and works in Cornwall and where she produces drawing and watercolour artworks. Kate's interests include walking in wild places, camping in wild places (like the Hebrides and Italian mountain ranges) and spotting wild life - eagles, deer, wolves. She has also trained in classical shamanic techniques. Kate is a strong dreamer and will be working in the dream tent at the Port Eliot Literary Festival, and at Camp Bestival, this summer.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained at Brighton Poly ( as it was then) in Fine Art, making films and tape/slide installations. I am self-taught as a painter/draughtsperson. I learned to work hard and to be self-reliant. I have made drawings since I was a small child, and have always wanted to do what I do but for many years didn't believe in myself enough to let go of my teaching career and all the things which took up my time and prevented me from following this path.


One favourite living artist?
Eija-Lisa Ahtila, the film-maker. I love the way she finds her way inside emotions in her films. I love them visually too.

One favourite historical artist?
Piero della Francesca (and all early Renaissance Italian artists)because of the subjects of their work, their stillness, radiance, and beauty.


Where do you get most of your inspiration from?
My inspiration comes from my inner life and all that appears there.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had.
What I do now, thankfully!

Do you work mostly on your own? Have you had any interesting work related collaborations?
I do work mostly alone but recently collaborated with Karen Lorenz when we both made films about one of our parents. I will also be showing with John Keys in Bristol in October at Centrespace Gallery.

At age 18 who most influenced your style?
Kandinsky.

How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace - if at all?
I don't bend my vision at all!


Who would you say buys your work?
My purchasers are other artists, poets, academics, ministers, therapists.

Where and what is your studio?
My studio is at home, where I love to be. I rented a larger studio recently but it didn't feel right.
Do you have a good work/life balance?
I have a very good work/life balance. Twenty steps and I can be in my garden, which I also love working in.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Bliss

If you could be doing anything else what would it be?
Caring for working animals in third world countries.


If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
The gallery of my choice would be in the main pavilion in the Venice Biennale, 2011.

Please list any exhibitions you have had in the past 12 months.
House of Fairy Tales, Millenium, curated by Alice Herrick, including live drawing ‘skyped’ to ICA, London;
House of Fairy Tales ‘Exquisite Trove’, curated by Alice Herrick, at Newlyn Art Gallery.
Artsway Open 09 curated by Peter Bonnell, Sway, Hampshire.
Birmingham, Visual Exhibition for Art of Ideas II curated by Stephen Snoddy.
‘Blasphemous’, Museum of Contemporary Art, Dublin
Millenium, St. Ives, Winter Show.
Salisbury Open Drawing.

Later this year Kate will be showing in Truro Cathedral, drawings in response to St. Francis' Canticle of the Creatures and will also be exhibiting at the Brighton Art Fair and the Palace Art Fair.

No comments: