Saturday 12 September 2009

Maker of the Week - Sarah Proctor


Sarah Proctor is a silversmith and jeweller who lives and works in London. During her time studying at London Metropolitan University she was inspired to try to make metal take on a different, softer quality, to assume the appearance of flowing lava or satin. The resulting technique she developed results in organic, random patterns within each piece of work.

One favourite living craft maker (and why?)
Cornelia Parker. I love the fact that she is so destructive, but in a very ordered and planned way.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased or what one product/item do you really covet (and why?)
This is a tricky one. I'd have to say the thing I treasure most is my plain old hack saw. It belonged to my dad and sadly he passed away 5 years ago, before I decided to give up a very secure career in television and throw myself into the world of jewellery and silversmithing. To be honest it was losing him that made me realise that life is short and that if you really want to do something...do it! Every time I use that saw in my work I'm reminded of my little motto and it keeps me positive.

At age 15 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
I had no art or design influences at 15...I was too busy going to rock festivals. So to answer your question, my influences were a variety of long haired rock bands who have all long since passed into obscurity!



Last best read (book)?
I really enjoyed The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It examines how raw talent is not enough to succeed. Instead, in order to achieve real expertise, you need luck, opportunity, oh...and around 10,000 hours of practice!

Where and what is your studio? Do you work alone? In silence, radio?
I divide my time between my spare room, which I've converted into a little workshop where I work with my ipod (listening to a variety of long haired rock bands who have all long since passed into obscurity), and a workshop at my university (London Metropolitan Uni) with lots of other Masters students, where there's lots of chatting and hammering.

What is your favourite (art) website (and why)?
I find Benchpeg.com really useful as it covers everything from competitions to tools for sale.



Do you have a good work/life balance? Are you able to switch off from art work?
Well in addition to my metal work and my home life I also work part time for a TV channel, looking after their programme contracts, so it's fair to say I'm never bored, and there never seem to be enough hours in a day.

What one word would describes your feeling of doing your work?
Lucky.

Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Absolutely. It think it is so important to be able to switch off from the stresses of the world and immerse yourself in something as therapeutic as creating something. I find making things very meditative.

What do think are crimes against good taste & decency in art/craft/design?
I believe that if you can't say something nice about somebody you shouldn't say anything at all, so I'll keep my thoughts to myself!

No comments: