Monday 22 June 2009

Artist of the Week - Angela Lizon




Angela Lizon has been working for many years on fairly minimalist abstract paintings but 2 years ago changed overnight to painting giant cats which are humourous, kitsch, absurd and slightly disturbing!

One favourite living artist? Why?
No particular favourite living artist but I do admire artists who are very honest at what they're about, can play the system to their advantage and are the ones calling the shots rather than gallerists or curators.

One favourite historical artist? Why?
I have many favourite historical artists but all time favourite must be Matisse as his work is so joyous.

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
I've always wanted to be a painter, since I was about 6 years old.


What place in the world has inspired you?
Hard to think but with the work I'm doing now I'm sure that the childhood day trips to Brighton from London to visit an elderly aunt, playing crazy golf, going on the pier and eating knickerbocker glories must have had a subliminal effect somewhere along the line.


At age 15 who influenced your style?
Don't think I had any style when I was 15.

How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace - if at all?
Have always tried very hard not to bend my "vision" to suit the marketplace. I went to art college long enough ago to have been there at the time when it was considered dirty to mention art and money in the same sentence.



Where and what is your studio?
My studio is in Spike Island in Bristol - a large set up with many artists and creative businesses. Have a largish studio with really good north light.

Do you have a good work/life balance?
There are never enough hours in the day to get everything done so what does that mean? I could do with a holiday.



What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Fun.

Would you rather be doing something else?
Never.

If you could exhibit in any gallery which would it be?
In the National Gallery, London alongside the Stubbs' horses.

Most overrated artist/maker?
Those who give a design concept to another artist, get them to make it and then take all the credit themselves without acknowledging the maker.

Where do the majority of your inspiration / ideas come from?
The majority of my inspiration comes from my childhood in the 60's and 70's and my two children.

Where did you train? Favourite / least favourite aspects of training?
I did a degree at Bristol Polytechnic (now known as University of the West of England) and then gained a scholarship to study at Krakow Academy of Fine Art in Poland for a year. As Poland was still under the communist regime it was quite an experience.
Favourite aspects of training? Colour theory lessons and life models available at any time. Least favourite? Art history lectures.



Please list any exhibitions you have had in the past 12 months.
Competitions - Bristol Contemporary Open at Paintworks in Bristol, Open west at Summerfield Gallery, University of Gloucestershire. In January I will be having a solo show at Howard Gardens Gallery in Cardiff.


Angela will be exhibiting and selling her work at the Brighton Art Fair in October.
Angela Lizon: angelalizon@gmail.com

No comments: