Wednesday 24 December 2008

Christmas Fair at The Ropewalk

My aim this year was to find gifts for my family which upheld my beliefs in supporting local artists and makers, so I visited the Christmas Fair held at my local gallery, The Ropewalk, in Barton-Upon-Humber.




A grade II listed former rope factory, The Ropewalk has three exhibition spaces, a shop, cafe and studios which house a variety of makers and businesses.




The Ropewalk is a great example of a small contemporary visual arts centre, housing so much in one beautiful building, with the dramatic backdrop of the Humber Bridge.
For the Christmas Fair the studios had been thrown open to the public and the artists were on hand to talk about their work. There was a display in the Artspace gallery and the corridors were lined with stalls.



Handmade decorations and gifts were the order of the day, all items available for sale on the day were to be priced under £250 to fit in with the affordable art idea. Alongside the work from the residents The Ropewalk features local artists’ creations in the Box Space and shop areas. Ideal for Christmas shopping as a lot of the items are priced at less than £50, meaning you can spend as little or as much as you like and still come away with unique, handcrafted items and the feeling that you are supporting your local artists community.
I purchased a ceramic piece for my Mum by Alan Butterworth, a ceramicist from Barton.



And, as is often the case at Christmas, a ring for myself-




However I will let myself off as the ring in question was made by my first jewellery tutor, Alex Hallowes, and I have always promised myself something of hers to remind me of my first tentative move into the world of decorative crafts.
Due to the range of mediums the artist makers work in there was something for everyone, from Richard Hatfield’s landscape paintings of the Lincolnshire countryside to Marc Renshaw’s wild cartoon like drawings...





...to Michael Scrimshaw’s striking metal sculptures.



Any time of the year if you're passing it's worth a look in, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: