Saturday 15 November 2008

ARTIST OF THE WEEK - Irene Marot

My work is celebratory but only through bringing light to the dark

One favourite living artist?
Gerhard Richter - because he is fearless

One favourite historical artist?
Francis Bacon because of the rules he broke

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
At school

What place in the world has inspired you?
Nicaragua - because of the peoples zest for life and their courage


Last best read?

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace?
I try very hard not to

How do you set about starting a new project?
My attention is caught by an image or the idea of it and if if has an accompanying excited feeling of wanting to paint it - then that becomes the start of that journey.
I, recently, saw Martin Creed's installation at the Tate and something struck me about the incongruity of the athletes and their sprint through the formal space - which I am playing with, presently.



Where and what is your studio?
The 106 Studio, Hove. There are about 15 other art artists - although we never seem to be there at the same time - all working in different disciplines. I appreciate the interaction with the other artists. I prefer to work in silence.


What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Exasperation

Are their other fields that you'd like to apply some facet of your work into
Because I'm also a professional actress - I would like to understand more thoroughly the connections between my painting and acting.


If you could exhibit in any gallery which would it be?
Purdy Hicks








No comments: