Thursday 10 July 2008

Maker of the Week - Emily Nixon, Ixo Jewellery


Emily Nixon, IXO jewellery

Raw, organic, textured natural forms made from silver and gold and incorporating precious and semi precious stones.


Money spent on going to Glastonbury is never wasted, because I can let my hair down, feel like a student again, be completely indulgent and self-centred for three days, chilled out because of the yoga and reflexology, giggling because of the amazing laughter workshop (everytown needs a laughter club) feeling revitalized, and being a much cooler and trendier mum!!!


One favourite living craft maker ?
Cleo Mussi, who makes unbelivable mosaics, because she is just so talented and creative see

What place in the world has inspired you?
Gwithian Beach, every time I walk over the pebbles I can’t help filling my pockets!


How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace?
Never, my new pieces develop as I go along and so far my clients have always been excited by new things and I have a loyal following!

Who would you say buys your work?
My work is very classic but has a statementy edge, it is usually bold and unusual. I make lots of wedding rings for people who are looking for something very different from the high street but that will be timeless.


Where and what is your studio?
At the back of my garden in a converted coach house, I work with constant interruptions from children, our mad jack russell and friends who drop in for coffee; but that’s the way I love it! I usually have the radio on and mostly listen to radio 1 with smaterings of radio 4, although for some reason I sill haven’t worked out why my radio always starts the morning turning itself on with radio 2 – I’m not great with technology and haven’t got round to re tuning it! If I’m not in the studio I’m on the beach collecting pebbles, or fiddling with a piece whilst making supper.

Surprising activity/hobby?
I am about to start some surfing lessons as I think that if I don’t do it now I never will and it must be really amazing if people are prepared to get into the water when the surf is good, even if its blowing a snowy gale in the middle of winter! - I think I also need a camper van (its my mid life crisis and I’m going to enjoy it!)


Do you have a good work/life balance?
I feel really lucky to enjoy my work so much, for it to fit in so well around my gorgeous family.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?

Nourishment


Guilty secret?
I enjoyed watching James Blunt play at Glastonbury!

No comments: