Saturday 25 August 2007

ARTIST OF THE WEEK - VICTORIA KERSHAW

Victoria Kershaw produces functional tableware using concrete and silver.


She will be taking part in Goldsmiths Fair week 1 and a

few others shows before Christmas.



1 One favourite living craft maker?

Felieke Van Der Leest - Because her work is wacky


2 When and where did you first want to do what you do?

Ever since I was born I had an interested in art / craft / making things,

and it developed form there.


3 What place in the world has inspired you (and why?)

Japan - It is so different to so many other places in the world, so many

beautiful buildings, parks, objects with a real care and consideration to

detail. Plus we climbed Mt Fuji which was a truly incredible experience.



4 Last best read?

Memoirs of a Geisha


5 How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace?

I don't


6 Where and what is your studio?


I have a lovely studio in a new complex called Butcher Works in Sheffield -

The building itself was part of Sheffield steel works. I am from Sheffield

and I really like being part of the silversmithing industry. I do work alone

but to keep in sane I do listen to the radio. At present I like to listen to

radio 2.

7 Surprising activity?

I love to snowboard, whenever I can.

8 Do you have a good work/life balance? Are you able to switch off from art work?

Sometimes but not very often


9 What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?

Amazing


10 Would you rather be doing something else?

No


11 Do you think art and craft has any real importance?

Of course - life can be so busy, stressful, tiring at times its really

lovely to be able to enjoy, use look at the beautiful things around us.


12 Are their other fields that you'd like to apply some facet of your work into?

Buildings - one day I would like to look into producing large piece of work

for buildings or public art.


13 Guilty secret?

That would be telling!!


14 Can anything be 'art'?

No




No comments: